Thursday, June 7, 2012

At a Church Dance


"Dancing can be fun and can provide an opportunity to meet new people."

Dancing has been part of Mormon culture since the beginning. Early prophets encouraged dancing as an exercise and as a form of social engagement. Caution has always been taken to keep church dances in line with gospel principles, i.e. nothing suggestive of immoral acts or music that describes sinning.

And so the church puts on dances for its youth and singles. There used to be more family oriented dances, like the Gold and Green Ball, but the occurrence of those has dwindled, and dances are mainly put on for teenagers and unmarried adults.

My question is: Why?

When formal dancing was taught to children I can see where dancing might be a good social activity. I have watched and read enough Jane Austen to see the benefit of organized dancing in social situations. But today dancing is anything but social. Lights are dimmed, music is too loud, and you're so sweaty that you probably won't put up the best impression. As stated by Kat in "10 Things I Hate About You," Who the hell would go to that antiquated mating-ritual?

I have attended church sponsored dances since I turned the magical age of 14, the age the church has set for admittance into such social soirees. I attended the Rose Prom, the "coming out" event that I thought had been done away with, but doing a google search proved that at least one stake had a Rose Prom last year. My father presented me as a now eligible female teen to all the 14-18 year-olds of my stake. We stood under the lattice arch trimmed with twinkle lights as my name was read, waited for the other 14 year-old females to be presented, and then danced to "A Whole New World." It was the first time I ever saw my dad wear a suit, and I love him for that. I remember the people I danced with, all nice, but I had no idea how to dance, what music they were playing, or what to say to these awkward teenage boys who only knew how to do the "Deacon Shuffle."

Now into my early 30s, dances still remain a major component of singles' life in the church. Every single adult conference I attend includes a dance (don't try to hide it by calling it a mixer). And yet I see the same behavior, though now the guys are not doing the Deacon Shuffle, but are trying to impress us with Steve Urkel dance moves. It is also a social situation in the church that I find on the verge of worldliness. We are taught to avoid all appearance of evil, and yet here are Latter-day Saint singles trying to perform dance moves indicative of breaking the law of chastity. Guys dancing this way are not the kind I want to marry, nor do I want to waste my time at an event where this is what is going on.

For this reason, I have pretty much stopped going to church dances. In my late 20s I went because I felt I had to show Heavenly Father that I was putting forth an effort to meet guys for him to bring the right one into my life. But I just don't think I will find the right one in a dark room with thumping music and gyrating bodies.

12 comments:

  1. I think it is a shame that there aren't family oriented dances these days. I never felt like dances as a youth or in college were a good way to meet someone - I felt ridiculous because I had no idea what I was doing! And now that I am married, I wish there were opportunities to dance with the guy who will love me even if I do look silly. Glad to see your posts Katey Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you say. I hated dances as a teen for the same reason. How was I supposed to talk to a guy when the music was loud and I couldn't see the expressions on his face to judge his responses??
    I have a decent sense of rhythm, but am not even remotely graceful. I can remember going to a formal church dance (gold and green ball maybe?) with my grandfather when I was about 17. he quickly taught me the foxtrot and we danced around, arm in arm, with me sometimes missing a step, but it was FUN!! It was so different from all the other "dancing" that was going on and I noticed a few other paternal figures stepping in and following the example my grandfather set.
    I wish that the "old fashioned" dancing could be a part of "church culture". It would benefit both the single adult population as well as the married couples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the most fun I have ever had at a church dance is when a good friend asked me to dance and we polkaed around everybody else there.

      Delete
    2. I agree! I wish we could learn to dance "properly" (the dances that have names, like the foxtrot and waltz) and that there were family dances so we can dance with our kids and husbands/wives. So glad you had that experience with your grandfather, what a great memory!

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I never really got into dancing. People would say, "Dances are fun" to which I would reply, "But dancing isn't fun for me, it's awkward and embarassing."

    I'd rather go play paintball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here here. I love dancing - just not there. There were some of us 'rebels' back in the early 90's in California who hated church sponsored dances so much that we started a swing club. We all were sweating like mad people doing lindy and east and west coast and just having a blast. I imagine that someone hooked up out of that group (actually I know a few who got married), but most of us were there to have a great time and listen to music we liked and do more than the stupid looking 'pretzel' that girls liked to do together to have someone worth dancing with rather than the awkward teachers and priests and later on, those desperate RMs who still hadn't learned the basic box step.

    I do remember that when my father forced me to go to church dances, I'd bring broadway standards, sneak away, and play and sing in some long lost RS room or Primary room. And always a group would form and we would have a blast belting out show tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, this is so entertaining! This is a really fun way to share some of these stories--great blog idea. I look forward to more!

    Dances used to be so fun! But I agree, when you've reached 32 and still going to dances like your 14, part of you dies inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I did LOL as I read your last sentence.

      Delete
  6. First of all, I totally agree. I really dislike church dances. In fact, I didn't go to my first church dance until I was 25. No lie. But then I really started feeling like I should go, mostly for the reasons you mentioned. So that I could show that I was trying. (Although there were some fun dances in Austin, mostly because there were fun people to hang out with. The dancing just sort of got in the way, haha.)

    I feel like I once witnessed the reason that they still have church dances. In Austin we once had a regional YSA dance, and long story short, a girl in our ward met her future husband there. It was a whirlwind series of events that actually made a great story later (and involved a lot of sneakery, including her calling the institute secretary at Texas A&M to find out his name and contact information), and they were married -- no kidding -- 2 months later. After that, whenever my friends and I couldn't bear to go to another church dance, we'd all say, "Remember Wendy Harris!" It was like a battle cry to give us strength to go to one.more.dance. Sadly, I've never seen this situation repeated. Not that I'm surprised. Church dances are terrible for all the reasons you mentioned. (Caveat: I have talked to at least one person who knew she wanted to date/marry a guy she knew because they danced together; ironically, they were on dates to this dance with other people, and then never went to another dance again.)

    I dated a guy awhile back who was really into swing dancing (like going to real dances in the community), and so I started taking classes to learn a few steps. After a year or so of classes and dancing, I feel like I actually became pretty good; but interestingly enough, church dances became even MORE torturous. (If that's possible.) Since my then-boyfriend lived far away, we usually weren't at church dances together. When a really great swing song would come on, my feet were itching to dance, and there was no one to dance with because no one knew how. Lame! There was a brief period I found someone in the ward who knew how, but he wasn't always there, and then he got married. I have gone to dances where they've done pre-dance lessons, but meh. Everyone then just goes back to doing the deacon-shuffle, which is arguably the most awkward thing ever when you're 31.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen. I've always hated church dances. Our ward now has even had Valentine's dances for married couples. I hate those too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Gold & Green Ball is at least still alive in one stake of central Illinois! I had never heard of them. When we moved there I was asked to help plan it, and I agreed to do so while mistakenly believing I'd be helping with the Blue & Gold Banquet for Cub Scouts! Whoops. There was a couple in our stake who were professional ballroom dancers and one year they taught a dance class before the dance so people would feel more comfortable actually dancing! With classy music and dancing it can be a good time, but too bad it is not normally like that. I enjoy your posts, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to dance, but to socialize and not make it a mating ritual. Don't we honestly all have more fun without the pressure to impress or the annoyance of people trying to impress us?
    I heart heart HEART dancing, but the most fun is with friends you already came with and will leave with to play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit at home. Or your sweet dad. :)
    For example: My co-workers going to Zumba together. It's ridiculous and silly and awesome.
    Awesome blog, Kate.

    ReplyDelete